Wednesday 13 November 2013

Quick Write: Candy

It's finally here. The scariest night of the year. Thousands, maybe millions of us are savagely ripped apart and eaten while our remains are thrown carelessly away. It's Halloween. I know I'm just a simple Reese Cup, but I have to think about my little Reese's Pieces. What will become of them? Will they be painstakingly eaten one by one? Or will they be spared and thrown away to save themselves by human children who happen to be allergic to our peanutness or just happen to despise our taste? I'm glad we have a slight immunity, being made with peanut butter and all, but also being made of chocolate puts my family and I in the line of fire for the chocoholics. I have to face the inevitable. My children and I will most likely not make it through Halloween. I've buried us at the bottom of the bag we've been handed off to. I'm terrified because we're together, but also immensely relieved. It's only a matter of time. Being at the bottom doesn't always mean safety. I see the hand searching for just the right one of us. I see Rockets leave us, she was always a dear friend of the family. Another hand has shot in. I have been grabbed. I take these precious few seconds to reflect on my life. Having all of my Reese's Pieces. Moving into the community of other candies and making so many friends like Smarties and Rockets. If I could cry I would. If I could scream I would. Suddenly I feel a blinding pain-

No comments:

Post a Comment