Thursday 14 November 2013

Quick Write: Rabid Unicorn

It's starting to come to the end of a terrible day. Normally everything is perfect here where only unicorns live. The mountains appear especially vast and dusk is quickly approaching. A breeze stirs the fields and I smell the slightly pungent air. The smell brings disgust and a feeling of dread invades me. Today we have gotten word of a rapid unicorn amongst our secluded bunch. Suddenly I see something dark ahead. In the growing darkness it's hard to make out. Suddenly a courser breeze coming my way brings in the scent and that's all I need before I take off at an almost disorienting speed. The scent that means Rabid. The Rabid One will only bring death and must be destroyed before the disease is carried on. I suddenly crash into it and a sudden coldness overtakes me. The Rabid One is huge, pitch black, hard as stone and even colder. Bright red drips from his mouth and suddenly I get dizzy once I realize that it's blood. I do the only thing I think could work- I charge forward, head bent, hoping to spear him straight through the heart. The air stirs and I realize he moved. Thinking I have to defend myself I stare defiantly in his direction to see a dark shape hurtle towards the path that leads out of our territory. I stand there confused, heart beating wildly, wondering why someone so large and fast would need to run away from me. I wonder who died from being in the path of his rage. Anger courses through me but I don't give chase. Heading through the mountains isn't our territory and he is no longer our problem. Praying that he is killed before his disease spreads, I gallop back home to spread the news of his speedy departure. As I go I see the stars breaking out through the wispy clouds. Relief I can feel is evident on my face. We're safe for now.



Concept Art Writing Prompt: The Rabid Unicorn

http://io9.com/concept-art-writing-prompt-the-rabid-unicorn-1441184880



No comments:

Post a Comment