Wednesday 20 November 2013

Visual Imagery



1.       I selected this passage in the book “The Time Traveler’s Wife” because I found it to be simple, yet also packed with meaning about how this simple act of Henry disappearing is so common for Clare. I also thought it was very descriptive so I get a clear visual of what’s happening in that particular moment. It appealed to me because of the different imagery it brings. Like most, it brings a visual imagery, some auditory, and also some kinesthetic imagery. Often times a combination of two of these would combine and I found it interesting for such a short paragraph.
2.       The most common imagery that is in the passage is visual imagery.
3.       The best piece of imagery I think is in the passage would be “The wind is roaring in the grass, and we bend into it and make our way toward the house.” I think this is the best piece because of how it has all three of the imageries I mentioned. The entire thing is a visual imagery, while the phrase ”the wind is roaring in the grass is also an auditory, while also being a kinesthetic because you can easily hear, feel, and see strong winds blowing through grass. It’s so effective because of the way it’s such a simple act but also full of description and visuals that it’s easy to imagine you’re in that place without it being over the top dramatic in description.
4.       To me this imagery isn’t very positive or negative on its own. It can be made positive or negative by the passage it’s been thrown into. This particular visual is kind of negative if used as a metaphor. Bending into the strong wind might be a metaphor for making her way through being with Henry who is never permanently with her.
5.       I can’t decide if the mood of this passage is supposed to be kind of depressing, or if it’s supposed to be foreshadowing, or possibly both. Since foreshadowing is often both, I am going to go with both. I think this is it because of how the very last sentence is very short and clipped and almost freaky if you didn’t know about Henry being a time traveler. “It’s empty.” I also think this passage has a slight sadness to it because of the routine that Clare seems to have about folding up Henry’s clothes and knowing exactly where to put them. It’s only really the easy routine that comes with this passage and the clipped last sentence that really convey any type of foreshadowing and sadness to this passage.
6.        I think the purpose to these imageries in this passage is to let the reader see just how easily Clare has adopted to Henry disappearing and with how much simplicity she just accepts that now her grandmother knows about him and what he can do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment