Thursday 17 October 2013

Six Word Memoir Debriefs

What did I learn about storytelling?
When it comes to storytelling I have learned that how you word things and the words that you use are very important. This is especially important if you don’t want what you are saying to drag on. Using the right word choice might better explain who you are as the writer and lets the reader know almost exactly what you’re trying to get across. I also learned that it’s important to know when to leave out the more insignificant details and share the ones that are important and are more relevant since I tend to get off topic. When it comes to storytelling you also want to keep the attention of the audience or reader and that is also why it’s better to stick to the big ideas and the facts that are important or key to it so that your audience knows the main story that is being shown.
Where did I show my knowledge about using storytelling skills?
I managed to show my knowledge of storytelling when I used punctuation so that I had the important pauses or almost shouts of excitement or lack of these. I made sure to do this so it would almost like hearing how I would say it to them if I could. With the photos it helped a lot but the pictures that I used could have meant anything. Since I could only use six words, it made me think of what exactly I was trying to show and then do my best to explain it very specifically. I showed my storytelling skills by making sure that both the photo and the words I chose would correspond together in a way I saw fit. Since I didn’t take those pictures specifically for this assignment I had to word what I said carefully.
What did I learn as a reader, writer, thinker, storyteller?

As a reader I would say that I need to dig beneath the surface of words to find meanings and with this particular assignment I made sure to connect other’s writing with the photos they showed. When it comes to being a writer, I learned that words can have multiple meanings. Not just different meanings for you as the writer but for the people who are reading that you might have not even thought of. I’m not much of a thinker, besides randomly spacing out on occasion. When I think of myself as a thinker I learned from this assignment that it’s a good idea to think of your personality and how you can project that into writing and what you can control how other people think of you by your writing style. As a storyteller I’ve learned that often the stories are easy for me to understand but obviously I lived them myself but other people might be confused about what happened in what I’m trying to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment